Monday, May 12, 2008

New Stuff



I have officially added some vintage clothes to my wardrobe thanks to Ebay. I had a spending limit and that made it hard for me to get anything. I decided I would not spend more than 20 bucks on a bid. That means that I missed out on a LOT of cool stuff (namely that one embroidered suede vest).

But I did get some cool stuff! I recently read Patti Boyd's book (Wonderful Tonight). She was the model who married George Harrison (lucky gal!) and Eric Clapton (not so lucky). She was also an amazing fashion icon. I remember looking at photos of George and Patti's San Francisco visit in '68. She wore the most amazing clothes then. I decided I liked her style and wanted to see if she mentioned clothes in her book. She said she wore chiffon a lot, and that it was easy to travel with because it didn't take up much room in the suitcase. I decided I'd look for chiffon.

Chiffon:
I found a beautiful baby blue vintage chiffon dress for $11. It is fantastic.
I had to buy a slip for it because it is see through. Wow, chiffon is awesome. I wore the dress out to dinner with a friend (at my new favorite Thai place) and I was complimented a few times. I thought, "Yes! And it was $11!". Of course, I kept that to myself. Chiffon feels lovely on the skin, especially in the hot summer. I would like to build on my chiffon collection.

I also bought a really random chiffon dress that has not arrived yet. It is a questionable color, but I had to have it. I would say that the dress is mostly tangerine in color with some purple flowers on the front. It is 40 inches long, and I am quite short, so I am afraid of the length. It buttons up the front and the buttons are really groovy looking. It also has a matching belt. I picture myself wearing this dress in Rishikesh or some lovely exotic place. Alas, we will see once it arrives. I sent a photo of the dress to friends and they all hated it, but I like it. Hey, it was $7. I will wear it at home if it doesn't work out.

Victorian:
I am a history buff, and after reading a book about Rimbaud and yet another book about everyday Victorian life, I decided I wanted something Victorian. I found a chiffon Victorian style blouse with little purple anchors on it. The collar is quite high and ruffled as they were in the Victorian era. The sleeves are puffed. It has not arrived yet, so we will see how it looks with jeans and heels once it arrives. the shirt was $17--one of the most expensive yet. I do think it will be worth it, though.

Mexican dress:
I bought a bright yellow 60's Mexican embroidered dress. Well, it said it was a dress on Ebay, but it is actually a tunic. Oh well. It has lovely embroidery around the top and the bottom has a bit of lace. I suppose I can add another layer of lace to the bottom to make it long enough to be a dress. Nonetheless, It is gorgeous and very bohemian.I can wear it with jeans if I need to, or as a bikini cover for the beach. This was $11 as well.

Shirt Dress:
Ah, my husband is going to kill me. I purchased a light blue polka dotted vintage shirt dress. I really wanted a shirt dress, and there it was--the perfect one. It is 40 inches long (a bit long for a shorty like myself) but I think I can carry it off with some heels. It had a lovely belt and a nice collar. It will be perfect for work. I just hope it fits. Sometimes these Ebay items just don't fit well at all. This dress was $13.50. I am an administrative assistant, and the dress seemed like a dress that would have been worn by a secretary during the 70's. It will be perfect in my quirky little closet.

No comments: