Friday, October 10, 2008

Love Does Not Die, It Changes Form

At night, when I'm trying to sleep, I see momma. I see her sitting with her ever present cup of coffee. Her legs are so short that her feet don't touch the ground. She swings them like a child. She always did. I see Casey, smiling in his beautiful Casey way. I see my dad's baby blue eyes that crinkled when he smiled. Grandma Knowles laughs on the screened porch, just like she did down Tom Matthews Road--a road I once thought lead to Heaven.

Where are they now? Are they together somewhere? Are they sleeping peacefully with even the faintest thoughts of me lingering somewhere? Those I loved more than myself have gone someplace else and I can't see them or hug them or buy them boiled peanuts from a fruit stand. I can't tell them just how much I love them. I miss them so much that sometimes it feels as if my heart will burst. Even though they are no longer here, I still love them so.

Love doesn't die. Just like energy, it changes form. It turns into night time visions that keep you from sleeping. Love turns into montages of beautiful moments you had with them during their lives. Sometimes it helps, but sometimes it makes you miss them more. I'm thankful for every moment I laid eyes on them.

Momma, Daddy, Casey and Grandma--I'll see you all in my dreams. Same time. Same place.

1 comment:

Small Boat Sails into Big Mystery said...

This is very sweet. I am deeply moved.
I also looked at your blog on the John Prine and Josh Ritter show- I felt like I was there.
I'm posting a novel a chapter at a time: smallboatsails.blogspot.com

you might like it. I think you have to scroll down to the oldest post to read it from the beginning. I'm only on about chapter 5 so far...