Thursday, September 4, 2008

No Child Is Born a Racist




I have often wondered why racist people are such cowards. Why do they whisper and hide in the shadows? Why do they hide under white hoods? Is it because they know deep down that their hatred is unfounded? The color of a person's skin doesn't tell us anything about an individual's heart or mind any more than the color of a person's eyes. Surely everyone knows that--even a baby knows. A warm touch is a warm touch no matter who gives it. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

No child is born a racist. Racism is something that is taught. The fact that our society keeps perpetuating the hurtful myth that race matters shows me how America isn't the country I wish it were. My family has been here since at least the 1700's on both sides. Did my American ancestors not learn anything while working next to black people, yellow people and brown people all these years? We are all the same. Period.


Racist people who live in the shadows are only brave when they are anonymous. They hide behind rumors and snarls. They hide behind angry eyes and shifty glances. They refuse to see the truth--that they are not superior to any other human being on Earth. Spending so much time staring at someone's skin must be distracting. I am glad I never bothered. Racists feed off of ignorance. Is it derived from low self esteem? Possibly. I feel sorry for racist people. They are angry at imaginary things. They only operate in secret. That is a pathetic way to live.

I have seen and heard things recently that have made me ashamed to live in this society. Racism is alive and well. It is just hidden (and not very well). I think it is interesting that some people who call themselves "Christians" partake in these kinds of things.

I say to all the cowardly racist people--Come out into the light. Admit your disease. Get help. Come clean. Admitting is part of the healing process, right? Even you must know that you are wrong. As I said before, no one is born a racist. Racism starts with whispers and then leads to lies, off color jokes and out and out ignorance behind closed doors. Are you a part of the problem or the solution? It is up to you. How do you choose to see the world?

I don't want anything to do with people who embrace the idea of judging anyone based on their skin color. According to statistics, by 2050 white people will no longer be the majority. So think about that and get with the times.

No comments: