Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sam Cooke's Voice

I remember hearing Sam Cooke as a kid. My mother loved Sam Cooke and listened to him when she was in a good mood. He reminded her of her childhood in the 60's. I can see her now--a petite, strawberry blonde, listening to Sam Cooke and Otis Redding at aged 16 or so. She had good taste. She passed that good taste down to me. My mother's childhood wasn't a particularly happy one, but there was something about Sam Cooke that made my mother feel good and talk fondly about the 60's.

At aged 10, I listened to the same things my mother liked. Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, The Drifters, Motown stuff--whenever I heard those melodic voices, I knew all was right with the world. I especially loved "Change Is Gonna Come." Even as a young girl, I knew the lyrics to that song were powerful. His voice was so pure when he sang it that it became one of my favorite songs. It's still a special song to me. "Cupid", "Wonderful World", "You Send Me", "Another Saturday Night", and "Chain Gang" were a big part of my childhood and will always remind me of mother.

A change came in my life recently. My mother passed away. I played Sam Cooke during her memorial. Today I heard "Change Is Gonna Come" and I realized it was the first time I'd heard it since my mother died. Immediately, I was taken back to a sunny southern kitchen. Sam Cooke's voice sang sweetly to me while my mother made something fantastic--perhaps biscuits, collard greens and lima beans. Those were the times I remember fondly. Sam Cooke's voice did what it always did--it soothed me and made me feel as if all was right with the world. That is what I felt today as I listened to Sam Cooke. It took me back. At first, it caused a little bit of sadness as I reminisced about my mom. It was bittersweet, though. He still has the power to soothe me and I am thankful for that. I was afraid it would be too painful for me to hear him now. Even though my mother is gone, I will always connect with her in some way when I hear him. That is the power of music, but it is especially the power of Sam Cooke's music in particular.


No comments: