Monday, May 19, 2008

Thai Curry Coconut Chicken with Rice


I so badly wanted to go to my favorite Thai place to have some panang curry or something with coconut milk and curry. I can never find time to go anywhere, so I decided I'd make my own thai dish at home. This is my own recipe, because I had to work with what I could find and it's based on three different recipes.

I found S& B Golden Curry at an Asian market. It turns out that Golden Curry Sauce is japanese curry (who knew there were so many!). Actually, the S&B stuff was AWESOME and I've heard good stuff about it. This dish turned out fantastically!

I could eat it every day.

Ingredients:
1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced
2 squares of S & B Golden Curry Sauce to melt
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 can of coconut milk
½ cup chicken broth
1 tsp fish oil (optional)
3 basil leaves, chopped
2 cups of Basmati Rice
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 pat of butter for the rice
Salt, Pepper to taste

First, add 1 tbs of vegetable oil to a deep skillet and let it heat up. Add the 2 squares of curry (or more if you like, it’s all based on taste), chicken broth, and garlic. Stir at medium heat until blended. Remove most of the curry broth mix, but leave a little in the skillet to flavor the chicken.

Add chicken and onions to the skillet, with a little more vegetable oil (1 tbs). When chicken is cooked through and is no longer pink, add the curry broth, red bell pepper, coconut milk, fish oil, and basil leaves. Cover. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring here and there.

Now make the Basmati Rice, which also takes 20 minutes. Boil 4 cups of water, then add two cups of rice and a little butter. Stir for one minute. Bring temperature down to low. Cover and do not touch for 18 minutes. Fluff rice.

Place rice in a bowl and pour coconut curry chicken on top of the rice. Garnish with Basil leaf if you like.


This would also be great with sweet potato.

No comments: