Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Beatles


Everyone who truly knows me, knows that I am a Beatles fan. Who isn’t? My best friend Genie and I were known in our hometown as the huge Beatles fans. I am sure they thought we were strange. We did not mind. Of course, our town was a small southern town where everyone listened to country music. We watched "A Hard Day's Night" almost every day and listened to the Beatles on repeat. While everyone else was listening to grunge musicians like Nirvana and Sound Garden, Genie and I were listening to Rubber Soul and Revolver and buying Beatles posters. We even had our favorite Beatle. Usually, I'd be in love with John, and she'd be in love with Paul. Sometimes, we'd both be in love with George. It might as well have been 1963, because we lived in a Beatles-filled world. We loved watching them in all their movies--We especially loved the A Hard Day's Night movie and spoke to one another in one liners like, "Your grandfather is very clean." We'd laugh because no one knew what we were talking about. Sometimes, we'd listen to early Beatles, and sometimes it would be "Strawberry Fields" and "I Am the Walrus." Our song we loved to sing in the car was "The Ballad of John and Yoko", even though we didn't particularly like Yoko. When I had hard times, the Beatles were there to cheer me up. The Beatles might as well have been my best friends, and Genie and I might as well have been sitting in their studio with them.

No comments: